Posted on Jun 3rd, 2009 by Trackademicks
I have to thank my mom for the lovefest about to take place…
As a kid in the 80s, I really only listened to what my mom listened to- Wham!, Sade, Tears For Fears, Basia, and of course Swing Out Sister. These were groups I loved way before I could name a hip-hop group. About as close as it got to hip-hop in my house was Bob James’ “Take Me to the Mardi Gras” or the KING OF R&B’s best album “Don’t Be Cruel”…
Swing Out Sister’s brand of Sophisti-Pop is probably my biggest personal influence. Lush string arrangements, solid topic matter, fresh chords, and intelligent pop sensibility- a lot of the ideals I use to guide my own brand of SOPHISTI-SLAP (yes, term invented by me).
“Twilight World” is my favorite song from them, followed by HELLA others…
I only bring all this up now because I get to see them for the FIRST TIME EVER at Bimbo’s in San Francisco – Tonight!
And I’m taking my mom.
Do I seem excited?
- Recent News
- Sleepy Tom “Champions”
- Nick Catchdubs Remixes Goldlink
- A-Trak & gLAdiator Remix Foster The People
- Sammy Bananas “Peach Mix”
- Smalltown DJs feat. Lisa Lobsinger “See Thru” Neighbour + The Slow Waves Remixes
- Anna Lunoe “Bass Drum Dealer”
- Astronomar & CRNKN “Young Mummy”
- Sleepy Tom Pillowcast #001
- Wheez-ie “Deadbolt”
- Banana Seat “Pump Dance”
- Sluggers “Courtesy / HYPR”
- See All Headlines