Posted on Jun 3rd, 2009 by Trackademicks
I have to thank my mom for the lovefest about to take place…
As a kid in the 80s, I really only listened to what my mom listened to- Wham!, Sade, Tears For Fears, Basia, and of course Swing Out Sister. These were groups I loved way before I could name a hip-hop group. About as close as it got to hip-hop in my house was Bob James’ “Take Me to the Mardi Gras” or the KING OF R&B’s best album “Don’t Be Cruel”…
Swing Out Sister’s brand of Sophisti-Pop is probably my biggest personal influence. Lush string arrangements, solid topic matter, fresh chords, and intelligent pop sensibility- a lot of the ideals I use to guide my own brand of SOPHISTI-SLAP (yes, term invented by me).
“Twilight World” is my favorite song from them, followed by HELLA others…
I only bring all this up now because I get to see them for the FIRST TIME EVER at Bimbo’s in San Francisco – Tonight!
And I’m taking my mom.
Do I seem excited?
- Recent News
- Brillz “RETWONKED” Out Today
- High Klassified Live @ Boiler Room MTL
- New Tommy Trash Cubic Zirconia Bootleg
- New RL Grime Mix + Illroots Vid
- A-Trak & Nick Catchdubs Present Fool’s Gold Radio on SiriusXM #24
- GrandeMarshall “Time”
- New Bames Remixes
- Danny Brown x Sleigh Bells “Brown Bells” Blends + NYC Ticket Giveaway
- Ploom Mix 001: Day Off Los Angeles
- New gLAdiator Tracks
- 100s feat. Joey Fatts, A$ton Matthews and Da$h “Keep A Bitch Broke”
- See All Headlines