Posted on Jun 3rd, 2009 by Trackademicks
I have to thank my mom for the lovefest about to take place…
As a kid in the 80s, I really only listened to what my mom listened to- Wham!, Sade, Tears For Fears, Basia, and of course Swing Out Sister. These were groups I loved way before I could name a hip-hop group. About as close as it got to hip-hop in my house was Bob James’ “Take Me to the Mardi Gras” or the KING OF R&B’s best album “Don’t Be Cruel”…
Swing Out Sister’s brand of Sophisti-Pop is probably my biggest personal influence. Lush string arrangements, solid topic matter, fresh chords, and intelligent pop sensibility- a lot of the ideals I use to guide my own brand of SOPHISTI-SLAP (yes, term invented by me).
“Twilight World” is my favorite song from them, followed by HELLA others…
I only bring all this up now because I get to see them for the FIRST TIME EVER at Bimbo’s in San Francisco – Tonight!
And I’m taking my mom.
Do I seem excited?
- Recent News
- 100s “IVRY”
- Free Duck Sauce “Duck You” App
- 100s “Ten Freaky Hoes”
- New Sleepy Tom Bootlegs
- Mass Appeal “Rhythm Roulette” With Nick Catchdubs
- Eyes Everywhere “Off Bailey”
- Low Pros feat Travi$ Scott “100 Bottles”
- Smalltown DJs feat Lisa Lobsinger “See Thru”
- A-Trak & Nick Catchdubs Present Fool’s Gold Radio on SiriusXM #25
- Low Pros feat. Young Thug & PeeWee Longway “Jack Tripper”
- Surrender! – Biochemical
- See All Headlines